Friday, June 10, 2011

Thomas Woodbury Last Will and Testament (1700-1757)

Thomas Woodbury is my 5th Great-grand uncle.  He was born 9/5/1700 in Beverly, Massachusetts and died 10/3/1757 in Falmouth (now Portland), Maine.  I believe this will was written shortly before his death in 1757.


You start to get an idea of just how far I am digging into my family ancestry :-)


His last will and testament was the first family will document I was able to uncover.  As I have said, Maine is a genealogists dream come true (I wish all my family had lived there).  They have done such a thorough job of cataloging historical documents and making them available to the public.  I have included a full copy of Thomas Woodbury's will.  I was able to find this from searching an online Google e-book titled "Maine wills: 1640-1760 By Maine Historical Society".  


If you have relatives that died in Maine in that time period, check this out.  


I do recommend searching Google e-books, they can be an effective source of historical information.  


In addition, Thomas Woodbury's will is witnessed by my 5th Great-grandfather, John Armstrong.


From the will you can see that Thomas Woodbury was pretty well off by the standards of the time.  


I especially like that he bequest each of his daughters, Priscilla and Joanna Woodbury, their  own heifer.


Nothing like a cow to remember daddy and show your love.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the genealogy blogging community! I write a blog from Londonderry, NH, and I saw your blog listed by Thomas MacEntee, from Geneabloggers.com I just want you to know we must be cousins, since I'm a descendant of the Woodburys- in fact, I was born in Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather! Isn't it amazing all the family members you find when you start researching the your family history? Always a pleasure to meet a distant cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris,
    Let me add my welcome to Heather's. I'm another
    Woodbury descendant through my Ellingwood line. I
    agree about Maine, and all New England for that matter, being a great place to be researching ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill! Thank you for the welcome. I seem to find a new relative everyday or they find me! There is nothing more satisfying that learning more about where you came from. I am related to the Woodbury's through my 3rd Great-grandmother, Betsey Woodbury, of Cape Elizabeth, Maine.

    ReplyDelete