Friday, November 11, 2011

Funeral Card Friday - James Kurtz (WWII Casualty)

Veterans Day is the perfect day to remember those who fought for our country.

Over 416,000 Americans died in World War II, but I can only find one that was closely related to me.

Lt. James Kurtz, my great uncle.

I know very little about him.  He was a pilot during WWII and flew 27 B-25 bomber missions over Germany and Italy.  While he must have come under fire in ALL those missions, it was on landing and takeoff drills that he met his death in a training accident in Tunisia, Northern Africa.

I have already posted a picture of him and his obituary in a previous post, click here to see it.

He died on November 4th, 1943 (almost exactly 68 years ago).  However, he body wasn't returned to the family for burial until May 30, 1948.

Here is the Funeral Card from the funeral service conducted in 1948.  He is buried at Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Mt. Pleasant, PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment