Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Will Wednesday - Moses Godfrey Will 1741/1742

Moses Godfrey was my 7th great grandfather. He was born Jan 27, 1667 in Barnstable County, Massachusetts. He married Deborah Cooke about 1700. He died on April 16, 1743 in Barnstable County, Massachusetts. The will was written in Feb 1741/1742.

In the name of God Amen, I Moses Godfree Senior of Chatham in the County of Barnstable and Province of Massachusetts Bay in New England yeoman being aged and knowing a being appointed for all men do constituted appoint and ordain this to being my last will and testament, first of all I commit and recommend my soul unto almighty God that gave it hoping through the mends of Redeemer and receive the full and free pardon of my sins. My body I commit to the earth to be decently buried after my death believing in the Resurrection thereof and therefor worldly endowments wherewith shall please Almighty God in his providence to endow me with all I hereby dispose of in the manner following

Firstly, I will that all debts and dues lawfully owed by any person or persons together with funeral charges be first paid out of my moveable and real estate

Impormis I give unto Deborah my true and well beloved wife the use and improvement of my whole estate during remainder of life and then

Item I give and bequeath unto my seven sons as namely Samuel, Moses, David, George, Benjamin, Joshua and Richard my housing lands meddows and moveables both within Docy and without they paying and allesing out the whole the legacy hereafter allowed to each person prescribed. Viz.

Item I give and bequeath unto my deceased son Jonathan’s children of namely Caleb, Jonathan and Rebeccah each of them thirty shillings apiece and

Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Desire wife of Nathan Rider with what she hath already had twenty five pounds in moveable or they may be acquired –

Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Mary wife of Caleb Nickerson with what she hath already had twenty five pounds moveable or shall be acquired –

Item I give and bequeath unto Deborah the wife of Thomas Bassett what she hath already and twenty five pounds in moveable or acquired.

Item I give and bequeath unto my daughter Elizabeth wife unto Benjamin Bearse worth of what she hath already had twenty five pounds moveable or acquired.
And Finally I hereby appoint and ordain my son Samuel to be the executors of this my last will and testament declaring and renouncing all others to be null and void
In testimony where of I recounts set my hand and seal this the day of February annoque Domini 1741/2

Signed sealed & pronounced in presence of : Ann Sears, Hannah Buek, Sam Stewart

Moses Godfree

No comments:

Post a Comment